There are many apps for our iPhones and laptops to complete any task, from ordering a car, to scheduling a meeting and requesting food delivery. You may assume that it would be a good idea to take an ovulation test online or use an app for that. However, when it comes to determining your fertility window, relying on smart phone may not be so smart after all! In this blog, we review the basics of how to conceive, what is your fertility window and how to increase your chances of getting pregnant!
Ovulation Test Online: How Can it Tell if I’m Ovulating?When you get your period, it’s considered “Cycle Day 1” of your menstrual cycle. Women’s menstrual cycles can differ in length, but average at 28 days. Typically, women ovulate anywhere from cycle day 11 to 21. Ovulation is when your body releases an egg from your ovary that is ready to be fertilized for approximately 12 to 24 hours. Before we explore taking an ovulation test online, let’s discuss other ways to detect when you’re ovulating that you could be using. They are:
- Ovulation Prediction Kits. These can be purchased at your local drug store or online and are not expensive. Directions are included in the kit, but in general, they are designed to detect a luteinizing hormone (LH) surge using a urine sample. The LH surge triggers ovulation, which lets you know that it would be an ideal time to have sex.
- Basal Body Thermometer (BBT). You can also buy these at your local drug store or online. For the most accurate results, you will want to purchase a thermometer that measures to 1/10th of a degree.You would record your BBT every morning throughout your cycle and document it. It’s important that you do this at the same time each morning when you wake up before getting out of bed to ensure accuracy. When you track a slight increase in your body temperature, this would indicate you are likely ovulating.
- Documenting Cervical Mucus. This entails tracking your vaginal secretions, which is something that some individuals may not be comfortable with. Cervical mucus can provide insight into your overall vaginal health, ovulation and more. When you’re trying for a baby, you need to look for mucus that looks similar to egg whites, is stretchy and almost clear. This not only indicates you are ovulating but also that the consistency is ideal for the sperm to swim in.
Ovulation Test Online: Does it Detect Ovulation Issues?Another very important aspect to consider before relying upon an ovulation test online is if you’ve noticed you’re having trouble conceiving or your period is irregular. Again, while an ovulation test online can give you an idea of when you may be ovulating, it’s can’t properly diagnose or necessarily alert you if you may have a medical issue. If you have any of the following concerns, you should consult with a fertility doctor:
- Are under the age of 35 and have been actively trying to conceive for at least one year
- Are over the age of 35 and have been actively trying to conceive for at least six months
- Have missed periods or experience irregular periods
- Are concerned that you may not be ovulating
- Have needed treatment for tubal damage or endometriosis
- Have been diagnosed with Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS)
- Have had a history of pelvic infection, such as pelvic inflammatory disease (PID) pelvic pain
- Have had two or more miscarriages (also known as Recurrent Pregnancy Loss)